We all know the bathroom is an inherently dirty place. Between bathing, defecation, and all the other private biz we do, there's no shortage of germs. If left uncleaned, dangerous, life threatening organisms and viruses can form right inside your home.
Below is a list of the most dangerous germs that can be found in your bathroom:
- Gastrointestinal viruses that cause stomach ailments in humans. These include the norovirus, which you may have heard of in connection with cruise ship outbreaks. These viruses aren't just on cruise ships; they can be exploring your toilet seat as well. Gastrointestinal viruses "are easily transmitted and can remain on a solid surface for as much as a week," says Philip M. Tierno, Jr., PhD, director of clinical microbiology and diagnostic immunology at Tisch Hospital, New York University Medical Center.
- Enteric pathogens, which are organisms spread by contaminated foods (and can, of course, be carried in feces). These include things like E. coli, salmonella, shigella, and campylobacter. E. coli O157:H7 is particularly nasty, causing severe diarrhea with bloody stools. "It's the bacteria that killed four children and caused a lot of illness at Jack-in-the-Box restaurants in California in 1993," says Donna Duberg, MA, MS, assistant professor of clinical laboratory science at Saint Louis University.
- Skin and respiratory organisms, such as staphylococcus aureus (" staph") bacteria, including the antibiotic resistant MRSA strain, and Group A Strep, known as the "flesh-eating" bacteria.
- Dermatophitic fungi, like athlete's foot, transmitted by walking barefoot in the bathroom.
- Other residual fungi, like those indigenous to showers -- the "mold and mildew" of bathroom cleanser fame. "They don't cause infection, but they can exacerbate asthma and allergies," says Tierno.
We can keep your house clean. Cleanliness is really the most important step to prevent dangerous germs from living in your home. We offer professional maid services to the West Side of Los Angeles including Santa Monica, Culver City, Studio City, Burbank, and more. Let us know if you have special cleaning requirements, and we will work with you to accommodate your needs. We service houses, offices, and more!
Let us clean your home: Call (310) 458-6541 to get a FREE quote today!
Santa Monica, California maid service that services the West Los Angeles area.